© St John’s Church 2017 Registered Charity No 1144611
St John’s Church, Belmont
A Church of England & Methodist Church
St John’s Church has been at the centre of Belmont life for over 100 years. It started life in 1888, when an iron church, known as the Belmont Mission was built. This later developed into Belmont Methodist church.
A year later the Christ Church Mission Hall was opened nearby, eventually becoming the temporary parish church.
In 1914 work began on the present parish church - dedicated to St John the Baptist - and was completed in December 1915. Also during 1915 the Methodist church was built in Station Road. In the early 1980s the Methodist Church had deteriorated so much that in 1983 a building sharing agreement was arranged between the two churches - with the Methodist members worshipping in the parish church.
St John’s is now a single congregation, combining the best of both traditions.